E & P Data Management

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hello and welcome to the first of (hopefully) many musings about Data Management for the Oil Exploration and Production Industry. Lets face it! we have a lot of data (hundreds of years of well logs, seismic reports, well production data for areas all around the world) which is used by a lot of very sophesticated systems and software. And then we have numerous ways we manage this data - ranging from huge rooms with logs, maps and documents to large, enterprise-wide systems.
I am responsible for the design and development of one such system, here at Neuralog, Inc. And while we go about figuring out what the industry needs and wants, I thought it would be a good idea to share my thoughts and read your comments.
I have seen the development of systems that become so big and proprietary that they topple under their own weight. On the other hand, there are some that aim to be open ended and diverse, that they do not serve the purpose they were designed for.
As I go about discovering what exists in the industry, what looks cool, what aims too high, or too low, I will keep you guys updated with what I find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home